It's kind of funny that I ended up having my first baby while writing my first book. The feeling of holding the first print copy of your book and holding your newborn baby in your arms is strikingly similar.
Of course you don't usually gaze upon your first book after hours of physical trauma, so there's one big difference. And naturally the love you feel for a living, breathing human being is much different than anything you could feel toward a stiff rectangle of bound and printed paper.
But still, the sense of wonder and accomplishment is unmistakable. You worked so hard for so long and here it is, in your hands. You almost can't believe it's real! As the minutes, hours, days, and weeks tick on after your "baby" has arrived you feel a mixture of excitement and terror as you begin, very slowly, but then seemingly all at once, to expose your precious bundle to the world.
While babies are almost always met with coos, cuddles, and words of praise, books aren't guaranteed such tender treatment. I held my breath as I waited for my first Amazon reviews to appear. I trembled as I read magazine reviews and blog posts.
New parents are certainly familiar with a fear of scrutiny, but the criticism they receive isn't usually so… public. Nor is it often captured in print – there for you to stew over or all eternity.
So it was with great relief, delight, and gratitude that I share with you some of the truly wonderful feedback my book has received so far. Guys, I am one proud mama.
The following are few quotes from happy readers:
"… This is really a bible for the person looking not just to make but to understand natural beauty products. The reference material in it, such as tables of natural oils showing their properties in beauty products, elevate the book above the level of a typical DIY recipe collection…." – Kathy Ciuci
"…This book is so inspiring! It's the kind of book I love: friendly tone, lots of extra troubleshooting tips and advice in the sidebars, and well-designed for easy reading comprehension. …." – Hilah Cooking
"…Several cuts above the hippy dippy natural beauty selections you come across in the health food store, The Natural Beauty Solution is a chic lifestyle book that matches Mary Helen Leonard's signature look and feel of approachable sophistication…" – Kristin Sheppard
The Natural Beauty Solution has also been mentioned in several online and print magazines!
- "Mary Helen Leonard's The Natural Beauty Solution coaxed the skeptic out of me… The approach is grown up rather than hippy and homespun." – Stylist UK compared The Natural Beauty Solution to another recent DIY beauty title in a recent issue and I'm glad to report that The Natural Beauty Solution garnered a glowing review!
- Mind Body Green has shared several excerpts from the book including recipes for Coconut Hair Wash and Pedicure Soak, tips on perfecting your facial masque technique, and a primer for using essential oils in natural beauty recipes.
- Naturally Seo Magazine mentioned The Natural Beauty Solution in a recent article on DIY facials. The article includes a charcoal mask recipe contributed by me, Mary Helen Leonard.
- My book has also been mentioned in Edible Austin (pg 75), and Blush Magazine!
Blog Tour Posts
You can find out even more about the book by checking out posts from The Natural Beauty Solution's Blog Tour! The following bloggers graciously shared their experiences creating recipes from the book. What fun!
- Scrunch Spray | Hip Girl's Guide to Home Making
- Alpha Hydroxy Facial | What Jew Wanna Eat
- Rosemary & Pale Ale Shampoo Bars | It Takes Time
- Almond Yogurt Body Scrub | Local Savour
- Baking Soda Wash & ACV Rinse | Love Fed
- Book Review | Mad Betty
- Blog Tour Roundup | Mary Makes Good
Share Your Review
If you enjoyed my book and you'd like to help support it (and the next one!) please consider adding an honest review on Amazon or Goodreads. Or, if you are a blogger, please consider sharing the book on your platform. I can help by hooking you up with excerpts, photos, and sometimes even giveaway copies for your readers. Just shoot me an email and we can talk about the details.
Thanks again to everyone who has read The Natural Beauty Solution! Sharing the book with you has been an amazing experience.