Making your own all natural cleaning products is so much easier than you may think. Get started with just a few main ingredients and simple recipes.
I really get bent out of shape over buying things that I know I can make at home. Especially when I know that I can make them in minutes for pennies on the dollar compared to big box brands. It makes the thrifty mama in me want to scream.
Cleaning products are a great example. The concoctions at the store are typically packed with synthetic chemicals that literally make my skin crawl. Using a potentially toxic product to clean surfaces where I prepare food, or fabrics that I use to dress my kid, just doesn’t feel right.
I prefer to make my own natural cleaning products whenever I can, and thankfully, this are almost always super easy and ridiculously cheap to do. Once you invest in a few essentials, like a set of essential oils, some empty containers, and a few bulk bags of baking soda, washing soda, and borax, you can make enough natural cleaning products to last for a really long time, and make natural home care a regular part of your lifestyle!
The following are a few of my favorite everyday recipes for natural cleaning products. These are quick to throw together and perfect to keep stashed under the sink or in the laundry room. Just be sure to label all of your jars or bottles so you remember what they are!
All-Purpose Surface Cleaner
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 10 drops citrus essential oil (lemon and tangerine are my favorites)
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in spray bottle and shake well before each use.
- To use, spray directly onto surfaces and wipe clean.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup fine salt
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- Combine baking soda, borax, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together, breaking up any clumps.
- Add essential oil and stir well to combine.
- Transfer to mason jar with sifter lid.
- To use, sprinkle on the surface, then scour with wet sponge. Wipe clean.
- 2 cups washing soda
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops geranium essential oil
- Combine washing soda and essential oils and toss together.
- Add hydrogen peroxide and mash with fork until powder is well saturated.
- Pack powder into ice cube trays and allow to harden overnight. Store in sealed container or plastic bag.
- To use, pop one tablet into each load of laundry.