So I did it again, I fell victim to my incessant Cucumber Salad cravings. But this time I mixed things up. THIS time, I replace Wood Ear Mushrooms with Red Peppers, and THIS TIME I added Goji Berries.
This time? I sliced the Cucumbers into little sliver sticks, like they do at the Sushi Bar. Want to do this too? It’s actually pretty easy, all be it anti-intuitive. Take a nice big Cucumber, pointy if at all possible, cut the tips off, and then cut it into three sections. Take each cylinder and start cutting into it at about 1/8 inch deep, Move your knife around the Cucumber, as if you were peeling the top layer off. When you get back to where you started, dig another 1/8 inch deep. See where I’m going with this? When you get to the juicy, seedy section, stop. You can throw that silly old reproductive section in el garbagio. (The garbage can, que?) Now, take each strip of cucumber and chop it into slivers, as if you are making Pepper Strips. (Which you just so happen to be making next.)
I found this YouTube video of a guy who really has this technique down. For my salad, I sliced my cucumber a lot thicker than he shows here, but for sushi, he has got just the right size. Also, I prefer to leave the peel on mine for salad. P.S. Did you get a load of this guys veggie peeler? Swoon.
Next, cut the Red Pepper into strips and toss them with the Cucumber strips. Add some Sesame Seeds, chopped Cilantro, and Goji Berries, and you have begun to approach deliciousness. Your boarding pass lies with the dressing, however, so don’t serve that bad boy yet.
In my ever-growing wisdom I have begun to mix the salt and sugar in this recipe with a little hot water before adding the other ingredients to the dressing. That’s right, people, I get smarter every day. So, start out by dissolving the salt and sugar in juuuust enough water to get the job done. Next, add the Rice Vinegar and mix mix mix. Follow with Sesame Oil, and if you are smart enough to have made some up, Lucky Trio Oil. Shake the dickens out of it and then toss it with your salad. (TWSS)
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper (I prefer red), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup pepper flower or lucky trio oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- Combine the cucumber, bell pepper, and cilantro in a bowl.
- Mix together the hot water, sugar and salt until it fully dissolves. Next, add the sesame oil, rice vinegar, and other oil (if you are using it). Shake or whisk well.
- There may be more dressing than you need, depending on the size of your veggies. Add just enough to coat the veggies.
- Add the sesame seeds and goji berries, then toss together.
- Serve immediately.