I received a free copy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals for review. All opinions are my own. Post contains affiliate links.
Cashew Mushroom Fried Rice: an easy vegetarian make-ahead meal from Seriously Good Freezer Meals
Lately I’ve been fantasizing about having a freezer full of ready to go healthy meals, like this one. I close my eyes and picture myself strolling over to the freezer around dinner time then leisurely popping something in to warm up. Of course, in these dreams my husband and son devour the meals, relishing every bite and falling all over themselves with praise for my cooking.
In reality I have only managed to pack a couple of meals into the freezer, and I haven’t approached the kitchen in a leisurely manner in at least four years. These days there is usually at least one child attached to me around that time of day. Sometimes they are screaming.
Still, a mama can dream, and maybe one day we’ll get there. For now, during this strange season of life that is somehow both slow and chaotic, I’ll take my little wins where I can find them. Wins like scoring a free copy of this freezer meal cookbook to review. Seriously Good Freezer Meals was a treat to explore. Full of tempting and healthy recipes that can be either made ahead of time and frozen, or enjoyed hot off the stove.
This Cashew Mushroom Fried Rice was the first thing I cooked from the book, so I thought it would be fun to share it with you here on my blog. It’s nice and savory, simple to prepare, and hearty enough to leave you feeling full and satisfied after finishing off a bowl.
Cashew Mushroom Fried Rice
Courtesy of Seriously Good Freezer Meals: 150 Easy Recipes to Save Your Time, Money & Sanity by Karrie Truman © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Available where books are sold
- 2 cups (500 mL) long-grain brown rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 6 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded carrot
- 11/2 cups (375 mL) thinly sliced, trimmed asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, puréed or diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved raw cashews
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tamari sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Place rice in a strainer and rinse under cool water until water runs clear. In a small saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes longer. Fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat olive oil over high heat. Once it is smoking, add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until evenly browned. Add carrot, asparagus, bell pepper, onion, garlic and cashews; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add rice and stir constantly for 1 to 2 minutes, separating any clumps, until well combined and heated through. Add tamari sauce, sprinkle with pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
Make It Now Serve sprinkled with green onions, if using.
Make It a Freezer Meal Let fried rice cool completely. Transfer to a gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze.
Reheat Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Transfer contents to a large, microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on High for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring once a minute, until heated through. Serve sprinkled with green onions, if using.
Looking for more tasty dinner ideas? Check out my recipes for Moo Shu Inspired Seitan Stir Fry and Easy Sheet Pan Roasted Veggie Bowl.