This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #RediscoverLaMorena #CollectiveBias
A quick and easy casserole, my chipotle sweet potato gratin is made with layers of tender sweet potato, creamy cheese sauce, and smoky chipotle peppers.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite veggies – but unlike most people (including my mom and husband) I prefer my sweet potatoes dressed in savory and spicy flavors instead of sweet. While I can understand the allure of marshmallows and brown sugar, I can’t get enough of smoky chipotle and creamy cheese sauce.
This recipe is fairly quick to put together – apart from slicing and peeling all those sweet potatoes! If you are working with newer, thinner skinned sweet potatoes, go can totally leave them on to save time. Using a mandolin slicer or food processor with a slicing blade will also speed things up considerably.
When it’s time to make the sauce, you’ll need to think about how spicy you want your chipotle sweet potato gratin to be. I have a pretty decent heat tolerance (or at least I like to think I do) and found that using 2 peppers and about a tablespoon of sauce from the can was just right. If you aren’t sure how many peppers to use, try adding them one at a time, pureeing, then tasting it for heat before adding another.
I like my chipotle sweet potato gratin with a nice brown crunchy top. If you prefer a softer, lighter texture, try covering the dish as it cooks.
I used LA MORENA® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (7oz & 13oz) for my chipotle sweet potato gratin. It’s a brand that has been around for a while (over 45 years!) but I only really discovered it after moving to Texas. LA MORENA® carries a trusted line of products with traditional Mexican flavors and ingredients.
Over the past few years, products like LA MORENA® Whole Jalapeños and LA MORENA® Chipotle Sauce have inspired me to approach classic recipes in a different way. Whether I’m trying out a spicy approach to strawberry shortcake or creating my own version of Texas Caviar, LA MORENA® products make cooking extra fun.
Be sure to visit the LA MORENA® web site to learn more about their delicious line of products. For more fun recipe ideas, follow LA MORENA® on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Gratin
Makes about twelve servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thin-sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- LA MORENA® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (7oz & 13oz)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or freeze-dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine heavy cream, crema, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in small food processor or blender. Add chipotle peppers to taste (1 pepper for mild, 2-3 for medium, 3-4 for hot). Add a dollop (1 – 3 teaspoons) of sauce from the can as well. Puree until smooth.
- Place one layer of sliced sweet potatoes into casserole dish, then drizzle 1/4 – 1/2 cup of cream mixture and a handful of shredded cheese over the top. Continue making layers until all of the ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle top layer with chives.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
I purchased my LA MORENA® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (7oz & 13oz) at my local Fiesta. It’s always a fun place to visit, packed with a huge selection of products from all over the world. The fresh produce section is especially inspiring to folks who love to cook. It’s not unusual to find treats like fresh turmeric root or prickly pears in Fiesta’s produce section.